Happy Spring to all, even if it doesn’t quite feel like it every day!  I have just a few updates to share with you.

Our next Seminary Hill Association meeting will be Thursday, March 10th at 7:00 p.m. It will be a virtual meeting.  The Zoom link for the meeting is below.  We hope to resume in-person meetings at our April 14th meeting. We plan to offer a hybrid alternative where residents can be on Zoom if they cannot attend in person. More details about that will be forthcoming later. Our speaker at our March meeting will be representatives from Alexandria City Public Schools to provide an update on the High School Project at Minnie Howard. We will see staging and construction activity beginning on the playing field at Minnie Howard starting next month.

Here is the Zoom link for our meeting:

Topic: Seminary Hill Association Zoom Meeting

Time: Mar 10, 2022 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting


Meeting ID: 845 2411 7435

Passcode: 810619

Dial by your location

+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

Another development project is scheduled to begin this month. The developer of Karig Estates has indicated their construction staging will begin on March 11th.  The day before this staging begins, a walking tour will take place with residents who have been very concerned about the removal of trees on the property in order to identify which trees will be removed. As you may remember from my last email, there will be 4 houses on the site. The first house will be built at the rear of the property. These will be large, luxury homes of 7,000+ square feet and will sell in the upper $2 million range. If you want to see what they will look like, drive down Quaker Lane toward Duke Street and on the right, you will see a new house that is white with black trim windows. This developer built that house, and the Karig Estate homes will look very similar. According to the sign on the fencing the name of the development has been changed to Franklin Hills. Once the site clearing begins, the truck haul route will have the dump trucks turning right onto Seminary Road, then right on Quaker, and then left on Duke Street to access the Beltway. The developer expects the development to be completed in 2-3 years.

As I indicated previously, I am serving on the Stream Restoration Advisory Committee for Taylor Run and Strawberry Run. We have had our first meeting and our second meeting will be later this month. The mediation team from UVA is conducting interviews of key individuals who have been involved in the controversy over the use of Natural Channel Design in these locations to better understand where the city process failed. Our committee has had frank conversations with the UVA team about the frustrations experienced by residents during this process. We were heartened to hear the mediators say that the city has said that Natural Channel Design is now off the table for these two streams. We hope that will prove to be the case, as this would be a major victory in protecting these forested areas.

On Tuesday night, March 8th, City Council will approve the creation of an Ad Hoc Advisory Committee for the Duke Street Transitway project. This committee will be composed of 9 individuals whose role will be to represent the views of their respective communities and provide a recommendation for the design alternative for the corridor. As you may remember, the city has been awarded $87 million in grants to improve bus transit along Duke Street from Landmark to the King Street Metro Station. Residents and civic associations along the corridor are concerned about the loss of access roads and travel lanes if a dedicated Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) lane is created on Duke Street, as you see it has been on Route 1 near Potomac Yard.

The Alexandria Federation of Civic Associations is sending a letter to City Council this weekend asking that the membership of this committee currently proposed by city staff, which will include 3 members of existing city commissions (Planning, Disability, and Transportation), as well as a representative of the development community, be changed in favor of adding more residents of areas along the affected corridor. While the proposed committee currently includes seats for a representative of the Federation, and 3 at-large community members, none of those at-large community members are required to live in the affected area. The Federation asks that these at-large seats be allocated to representatives from civic associations and homeowners associations that are located directly along this corridor. The Duke Street Transitway project is a transit project, not a development project, and the inclusion of a developer and a Planning Commission member puts unnecessary emphasis on the potential development aspects of the project, which should and will be considered later in the process. We will see what Council decides on Tuesday night.

The meetings on various parts of the city’s 2023 budget are ongoing and you can listen to the Council discussions.  Go to https://apps.alexandriava.gov/Calendar/?sc=325 and you will find the calendar for these meetings. It is important to note that on Tuesday night Council will set the maximum tax rate for this budget. The City Manager’s budget does not include a real estate tax increase, but Council has asked for data on what additional funding would be provided with a 1 and 2 cent tax increase. It will be interesting to see if Council decides to set a maximum tax rate that allows for an increase, if Council decides that is their preference.

Last month, SHA heard our new City Manager, Jim Parajon, speak about his perspective on his role in our city and learn what issues are important to us. This morning, he spoke to the West End Coalition. In both cases, he stressed his belief that the engagement with residents is paramount and such engagement must start earlier in the process than it has at times in Alexandria. He stated that he is making this very clear to his staff, and we are optimistic that our voices will be heard early and often. Even if the outcome is not always in agreement with our position, it will be a positive step to feel that our views are valued and considered. Mr. Parajon indicated his interest and willingness to come to different neighborhoods and walk with residents to see first-hand what their concerns are.  Several civic associations indicated their intention to take him up on that offer.

I will hope to see many of you on our Zoom meeting Thursday night. Thanks for your interest in Seminary Hill.

Carter Flemming, President

Seminary Hill Association

Happy February to all! Do we actually believe the groundhog’s prediction that we will have an early spring?  Let’s hope so after this cold winter.

Seminary Hill will host its monthly meeting virtually this Thursday, February 10th at 7:00 p.m. Our guest speaker will be our brand-new City Manager, Jim Parajon. We look forward to hearing from him on a range of topics. The board of Clover College Park Civic Association will be on the Zoom, and a few other civic association presidents are likely to join us as well. We are very pleased that he accepted our invitation, as I think this is the first civic association meeting he will appear before. After he speaks, we will have our normal business meeting, and the agenda will be posted on our website later this evening. I will provide everyone with a written summary of what Mr. Parajon said after the meeting is over. The link for our Zoom meeting is:

Topic: Seminary Hill Zoom Meeting

Time: Feb 10, 2022 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting


Meeting ID: 833 4632 0478

Passcode: 993016

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,83346320478#,,,,*993016# US (Washington DC)

Since our last communication, we had a virtual meeting with the developer of the Karig Estates property, Mr. Ibrahim, on January 25th. While Mr. Ibrahim stated he was ready to begin construction, there are still several city permits involving demolition and hauling that he must obtain before clearing can begin. Mr. Ibrahim indicated that he expects the land clearing/development to take 3-6 months. Then the construction of the first house will begin at the rear of the site. Each house will take 8-10 months to build. Mr. Ibrahim expects to be totally out of the project in 2-3 years. Construction employees will park on the site, so there should be no neighborhood impacts with parking. The haul route will be Seminary Road to Quaker Lane to Duke Street to the Beltway. The construction hours will be 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday-Friday. Saturday hours will be 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. No work will be done on Sundays, or federal holidays or religious holidays, due to the proximity to the Beth El Hebrew Congregation.

We are in Week 6 of the Duke Street Traffic Mitigation Pilot. Hillary Orr, of T&ES, has provided updates to us on what they are seeing. She encourages all of us to submit comments and feedback on our experiences on Duke and the side streets using the feedback form that you can find at https://www.alexandriava.gov/tes/info/default.aspx?id=124460.  Ms. Orr reports that travel time using Quaker to Duke is consistently lower than if drivers use the side streets. She reminds us that the pilot hours are only from 4-7 p.m. on weekdays. While we all experience other problems on Duke outside of those hours, the feedback they are seeking from us should be limited to what you observe during the weekday 4-7 hours.

The City Manager will present the FY 2023 Proposed Budget at 7:00 p.m. on February 15th.  For more information go to: http://apps.alexandriava.gov/Calendar/Detail.aspx?si=38097. Given the Mayor’s recent comments about how hotel revenue is substantially down and that will have to be made up in other ways, I think all of us should pay close attention to the budget process. Our assessments have apparently gone up about 6%, so that increase combined with the predicted pay increases required for our public safety employees, will clearly mean tax increases for all of us.

Finally, I want to provide you with an update on the stream restoration plans at Strawberry and Taylor Run. The city has hired a mediation firm from the University of Virginia to set up a civic engagement process. There are 7 residents who have been appointed to what is being called the Advisory Group for the City of Alexandria Stream Health Improvement Projects. The role of this group is not yet clear, but the first meeting will be held this Thursday morning, February 10. I have been asked to serve on this group, and have accepted. I will provide updates to you as I learn more about our purpose and responsibilities. From what I know now, we are not providing any technical or scientific input, but rather assisting the firm in setting up the engagement process. After that, I hope that there will be others who will work with the city to find alternatives to Natural Channel Design, which is the city staff’s preferred option. It would be a wasted effort if we go through this whole process, and in the end, the city staff continues with its plans to change these forested resources into meadows, given that the soil samples showed far less levels of pollutants than the city had asserted were present in the streams.

Happy Valentine’s Day to all. As always, thanks for your interest in Seminary Hill. Please do not hesitate to contact me or other board members with any issues you would like the Association to address.  Thanks to all who have made contributions to SHA. If others wish to do so, please go to the homepage of this website and find the button to donate. 


Carter Flemming, President, Seminary Hill Association



Happy New Year to all.  We are certainly in the grasp of winter now.

Our monthly SHA meeting will be held virtually on Thursday, January 13th at 7:00 p.m.  Our speaker will be Hillary Orr, Deputy Director of Transportation.  She will provide an update on the pilot project to change the timing of traffic signals on Duke Street to reduce the gridlock at the Telegraph Road interchange. Other topics will be covered during our meeting and you can find the Agenda on the Agenda tab of this website.  Here is the link for the Zoom meeting:

Topic: Seminary Hill Association Zoom Meeting
Time: Jan 13, 2022 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 896 0219 4173
Passcode: 370855

Dial by your location
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

I want to draw your attention to an online community meeting about Fort Ward Park on January 24th from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.  The community will be asked to provide input on recommendations on the Ft. Ward Park and Museum Area Management Plan and the Ft. Ward Interpretative Plan. The staff will give a presentation about historic resources, upcoming projects, and archaeology. One of these projects is the relocation of the playground. As you might remember, SHA has urged the city to work with the families of the descendants of those who lived on the land, and take scientific measures to make certain no gravesites are on the proposed playground site. We will find out at this meeting what the city’s plans are. I encourage you to join this meeting if you can. The link to register for this meeting can be found at: https://apps.alexandriava.gov/Calendar/Detail.aspx?si=38495.

On December 18th, 2021, City Council approved the Alexandria Housing Development Corporation’s development plans for the site on Seminary Road adjacent to the fire station. 31 affordable for-sale townhomes will be built, along with a multifamily building with 5 for sale affordable condos, and condo units to be owned by Sheltered Homes of Alexandria to provide housing for intellectually disabled adults. SHA worked closely with AHDC and adjacent neighbors to ensure that this project will fit into the character of the neighborhood.

The City Council will be taking up several projects of interest to our neighborhoods in their upcoming meetings. Among those coming up are the High School Project at Minnie Howard, and the Parc View II massive redevelopment on Holmes Run Parkway which will build a new apartment building in the current parking lot of the existing building and create a 127% increase in the number of units there. Among the items to be considered for the High School project is an increase in the height of the lights for the sports field from the originally-proposed 60 feet to 77 feet. Those of us familiar with the stadium lights at the former TCW knew that the 60-foot lights would never be realistic at Minnie Howard. Apparently, the engineers have now come to the same conclusion. We will continue to follow these and other issues in the coming year.


At the the installation ceremony for the new City Council earlier this month,  Mayor Wilson stated that previously he wanted Alexandria to be “a small city that does big things.” But now he indicated that he sees Alexandria as a city “that does less things, but does them better.”  He stated that our basic services are strained and now Council must come to a “reconciliation of the role the City has.” We will be closely monitoring what these statements mean for all of us.

As always, thank you for your interest in Seminary Hill.  Do not hesitate to contact us with any issues or concerns you have.

Carter Flemming, President, Seminary Hill Association, Inc.

I hope you had a Happy Halloween!  It has been fun to drive around and see the various decorations people have put up in our various neighborhoods. I hope many of you supported the Pumpkin Sale at Immanuel Church, as the proceeds go to numerous local charities. And Immanuel has been very generous to Seminary Hill Association by allowing us to meet in their Parish Hall, so we all should support this major fundraising effort.

Not to be alarmist, but I want to be sure you saw the warnings issued by area police departments, including Alexandria, that there were threats of some sort of terrorist violence last weekend in public places like shopping malls. The police are taking these threats seriously and asking all of us to be cautious and report any suspicious activity you might see, even though the immediate timeline has passed.

Noise Ordinance Changes

I participated in a webinar last week regarding the proposed changes to the city’s Noise Ordinance. I hope many of you participated in the city survey regarding staff’s proposal. It was interesting to learn how residents answered the questions, though some of the questions made some answers unclear. City staff reiterated that Council will make the final decision on these changes, but assured us that our responses would be taken into account. 359 people responded to the survey, which staff said was a very good rate of response. If you are not interested in noise, just skip the next few paragraphs that discuss the proposal in more detail.

To summarize some of the take-aways from the responses, the top noise issues identified by residents were construction noise, power lawn equipment, train and metro horns, construction from neighbors doing projects, loud noise/music from neighbors, barking dogs, and loud car and motorcycles. On the question of whether a noise limit should be changed to be based upon the “predominant use” in the area, 66% answered yes, and 33% answered no.  This means that if a restaurant is currently located in a residential area, their noise limit now is the residential decibel limit, not the commercial limit. Under the new proposal, this practice would end and if a business is a commercial activity, it would have the higher commercial noise limit no matter where it is located. This is seen as an equity issue to treat all commercial properties equally.

Another interesting question was whether the city should adopt a “plainly audible” standard for noise in the night time (after 11 p.m. as defined by the city). This would allow the police to come to a residence and if the noise is plainly audible to them, it would be considered a violation.  81% of respondents favored adopting this standard. This would allow the police to actually cite violators without the use of noise meters, which APD currently does not have. As the discussion of this question continued, it was clear that the police do not have the authority to cite noise violations without working noise meters that they do not have. Nonetheless, APD is listed in the presentation as the enforcer of noise violations after normal working hours, so it was not clear to anyone how any noise violations are handled after T%ES employees go home. In addition, we learned that the position of Noise Administrator in T&ES has been vacant for some time, so this also hampers any enforcement. As part of the discussion with Council about these revised noise standards, T&ES will be asking for increased funding to hire staff to respond to noise complaints.

Another question dealt with whether the city should stop attempting to enforce any decibel limit on power lawn equipment.  41% of respondents said Yes, while 60% said No. The city says all power lawn equipment exceeds the 75db limit at the property line, so enforcement is impossible. We learned that the city will be seeking legislative authority to regulate/ban the use of gas leaf blowers in the coming General Assembly session.

Finally, the most confusing question was whether the city should expand the noise limit that is in place in public spaces in the Central Business District (CBD) to the entire city. These limits in the CBD are currently 75db at 10 feet away from the property line until 11:00 p.m. and then 65db after 11:00 p.m. Currently, staff said that no noise limits apply to public spaces outside of the CBD, though some parks have rules and restrictions of their own, e.g. no amplified music can be played in some locations, and most parks close at dusk. 59% of respondents said Yes to expanding the area, while 40% said No.

There will be a work session with City Council on these proposed changes on November 9th. Then the revised ordinance will be introduced at Council’s legislative meeting on December 14th and voted upon by Council at the December 18th public hearing.

Duke Street Proposed Pilot for Congestion Relief at Telegraph Road

Seminary Hill Association and Clover College Park Civic Association have had discussions and briefings with Hillary Orr, Deputy Director of Transportation for T&ES. Staff is responding to many resident comments regarding the proposed Duke Street bus Transitway. Residents have made it clear that the ramp to Telegraph Road and 495 is their primary concern and frustration, and this daily gridlock must be addressed. As you might remember, Yon Lambert, Director of T&ES, had previously stated that the city had no plans to address this ramp because the city was investing in transit, not roadway increases. City staff also reports that VDOT has said that widening the ramp to Telegraph at this location is not feasible or safe, so they will not consider it for any funding.

We learned that the city has now applied for grant funding to study the possibility of creating a second ramp to Telegraph by creating a left turn option further east on Duke Street. This would allow drivers to turn left and enter the ramp on the eastbound side of Duke that is not jammed up each afternoon. This project would take several years to plan and build, so in the interim, T&ES is proposing 2 short-term pilot projects to help ease cut-through traffic in the neighborhoods surrounding this area of Duke Street. We have made it very clear that city pilots tend to be permanent changes and we are not in favor of doing that, as we have never seen a pilot that failed and wasn’t permanent. Ms. Orr is aware of this and has assured us that they are talking about short-term test periods that will end.

The first phase of this Pilot will be to increase the wait time for those motorists traveling toward Duke Street who cut through the neighborhood streets to exit at Cambridge Road during the hours of 4 p.m to 7 p.m. The lights along Duke Street will be given a longer green signal, and the light at Quaker and Duke will be timed to allow traffic to flow for a longer period onto Duke. Temporary signage will be put in place ahead of this pilot alerting drivers of the changes that will be coming. Drivers and driving apps will discover that cutting through neighborhood streets will result in a longer wait time and the new light timing will encourage them to stay on Quaker Lane where the green signal will be increased and the eastbound lights on Duke to Telegraph would be synchronized to move traffic more efficiently. This pilot will run between January-March 2022. It will end on March 31st. Staff and the community will then determine what we liked about the pilot and whether it should be considered on a more permanent basis.

The second phase of this pilot will be from March-June 2022.  This will prohibit left turns from West Taylor Run onto the Telegraph ramp.  Motorists on Taylor Run will still be able to turn left onto Duke Street, but barriers will prohibit them from accessing the ramp. The reason for this is that the red light at Taylor Run is a major factor contributing to the restriction of traffic flow onto Telegraph. In addition, residents of West Taylor Run endure daily back-ups on their street that restrict their ability to get in and out of their driveways. Again, this pilot will be for 3 months and we will meet with staff to discuss how to measure the success or failure of Phase 1 and Phase 2.

City staff has presented this to the Traffic and Parking Board who reportedly were pleased that staff was working closely with residents through the Civic Associations to reach some agreement on possible solutions to a problem that affects the quality of all our lives every afternoon. Staff will present the plan to the Transportation Commission in November.

Another change that is not part of this pilot, but will be proposed on a permanent basis, is to prohibit all left turns from Yale Drive onto Duke at all hours. Staff and residents believe that this is a very dangerous intersection when people attempt to make a left onto Duke. City Staff will bring this proposal to the Transportation Commission later this year.

Survey on the ways you move around the city

The city has posted a survey that will be open until November 20th asking residents how we choose to get around in the city. The link for this survey is: https://polco.us/alex2021. In this survey, you will be required to provide an email address and a zip code as the city is attempting to limit the responses to actual Alexandria residents. As with all city surveys, I urge you to participate so our voices can be heard on future decisions.

Federation of Civic Associations Questionnaire for Council Candidates

The Alexandria Federation of Civic Associations (AFCA) recently asked all Council candidates to respond to a questionnaire. The results of this questionnaire are posted on the AFCA website at: alexafca.org. If you haven’t voted early, I urge you to take a look at the answers provided by almost all of the local Council candidates.

AHDC Housing Project on Seminary Road

The affordable housing project proposed by the Alexandria Housing Development Corporation (AHDC) has received its approval from the Department of Planning and Zoning for the Development Special Use Permit (DSUP) to move the project forward. It will be heard by the Planning Commission on Tuesday, December 7th and will then go to City Council. As I have mentioned in previous emails, AHDC has held 3 community meetings and met with nearby neighbors to work through issues of concern. We are pleased that we have been able to work with AHDC to create a project that meets their needs, but responds to community concerns, while retaining the residential zoning designation.

Seminary Hill Association Annual Meeting November 18th with Acting Police Chief Hayes

Finally, I want to remind everyone that Seminary Hill Association will have our Annual Meeting on Thursday, November 18th at 7:00 p.m. Our meeting will return to in-person at the Parish Hall of Immanuel Church on the Hill at 3606 Seminary Road (where the pumpkin patch currently is). We also intend to offer a virtual Zoom option and the link is below. We will enjoy a few minutes of meeting and greeting at 7:00, and then at 7:30, Acting Police Chief Don Hayes will speak to us and take questions. I know many of us have questions that we would like the Chief to answer, so I encourage you to put this date on your calendar. At this meeting, we will also elect new Officers and Area Representatives to our SHA Board. If you would like to serve, or to nominate someone to serve, please contact me as soon as possible, as our Nominating Committee is at work now to nominate a slate of officers. We also welcome donations to SHA through our website, www.seminaryhillassn.org, or in person at the Annual Meeting.  All residents living in our boundaries are members of SHA and no dues are charged, but we do appreciate contributions to help us pay for our yearly expenses in order to communicate with you.


Topic: Seminary Hill Zoom Meeting

Time: Nov 18, 2021 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting


Meeting ID: 854 4872 7744

Passcode: 970694

Dial by your location

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

A reminder that Daylight Savings Time will end this Sunday, November 7th. Thank you for your attention and interest in Seminary Hill Association. I hope to see many of you in person at our Annual Meeting, and I urge you to stay in touch with SHA and let us know any concerns or issues you would like us to address. Your board is always interested in knowing what our members would like SHA to address.

Carter Flemming, President, Seminary Hill Association

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.





 I hope everyone is enjoying our beautiful fall weather now. I have a few things to bring to your attention today.

 The City has now notified residents that Phase II of their revisions to the Noise Ordinance have been finalized and is seeking our input into the 10 proposed changes.  I urge you to go to the city website for the video presentation of these changes.  That link is:  http://alexandria.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=29&coa_clip_id=5166&coa_view_id=29. After you watch the video, you will be directed to complete a feedback form for comments and suggestions.  The deadline to submit this form is October 22nd. Finally, a virtual public meeting will be held on October 28th at 7:00 p.m. to discuss these changes. To register for this webinar please go to: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_NisYV1PqSneDNYyY8F3BlQ.  Most of these changes will affect all of us in some way, so it is very important that residents provide input into what you think.

For example, the first change being proposed is a change to the current practice of noise being regulated by the “predominant use” of surrounding properties. If a business or institution is located in an area that is predominately residential, then ths residential noise standard is used for that business. The City now feels that this is not equitable, because different businesses are treated differently depending upon where they are located. Under the proposed change, the permissible noise level for a business would be determined not by where it is located, but rather by its use. If a restaurant is located in a predominately residential area, it would no longer be restricted by the residential noise limits, which are less than the commercial limits, but would be allowed to go up to the commercial noise limits. The same would be true for schools and churches, so it is easy to see how this change could have quite an impact on our residential zones. It was also interesting to learn in the presentation that current “daytime” noise limits are between 7 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. Daytime apparently goes well into what we would consider nighttime.  Another change would increase this daytime commercial decibel limit from 60 db to 65 db.

Other changes being proposed remove the decibel limit for power lawn equipment because the city believes that is impossible to enforce, and virtually everyone is in violation of the current standard. In addition, the increased commercial noise levels now in force only in the Central Business District corridor (basically Old Town in the areas where restaurants predominate) would apply to the entire city under this proposal. I hope this gives you a sense of some of the changes and will encourage you to watch the presentation and then fill out the feedback form.

I attended a meeting on September 13th where the developer of the Karig Estates property, Mr. Ibrahim, spoke briefly to inform us that work will begin on the site in mid-October. He promised to walk the site before then with some neighbors and Temple Beth El representatives to ensure that certain trees are tagged for protection. As of this date, he has not scheduled this important walk through the property. There are still many questions about this development, but the City had issued his DSUP several years ago and he is apparently now prepared to start construction. We did not learn much about the homes, other than his assurance that they will fit into the neighborhood.  He anticipates that the homes will sell for approximately $2.8 million each. He will build the first home at the far rear of the property and that will be the model home. He will then build the 3 other homes in sequence moving toward Seminary Road.

Alexandria Housing Development Corporation held its 3rd community meeting on September 23rd to discuss the affordable housing project on Seminary Road next to the Fire Station. AHDC has also met recently on site with adjacent neighbors to address their concerns. AHDC continues to be willing to make design changes in response to suggestions by residents. They are still awaiting final comments from city staff regarding their DSUP submission. We are happy to report that after negotiations with city staff and AHDC, the zoning will be RA, not the commercial zone that the city had felt was necessary to allow for the units being built for Sheltered Homes of Alexandria. This was an important decision and SHA was a key player in this decision. If all goes well, AHDC anticipates going before the Planning Commission and City Council in December of this year. Demolition of the existing homes will take place in the Summer of 2022 and construction would begin in Winter 2022. Questions were asked about water issues on, and from, the site. AHDC staff discussed the Best Management Practices that will be used to retain and treat storm water runoff on the site before it is released into the city system. For example, the surface parking lots will be permeable, and large planters will collect water from the downspouts to be held and treated.

I want to remind you that the virtual SHA monthly board meeting will by Thursday, October 14th at 7:00 p.m.  The Zoom link is pasted below. We will have two speakers at this meeting. The first will be Annetta Catchings, Republican candidate for Mayor. After Ms. Catchings presentation, we will hear from Hillary Orr, Deputy Chief of Transportation for Transportation and Environmental Services. She will be bringing some proposals that the city is considering to help alleviate the traffic gridlock on Duke Street during the afternoon rush hour for the Telegraph Road ramp to 495. This will be an important conversation, so I encourage you to tune into our meeting.

Topic: Seminary Hill Zoom Meeting
Time: Oct 14, 2021 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 896 7958 2939
Passcode: 195848

Dial by your location
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

In November, we will have our Annual Meeting and it will be an in-person meeting at our traditional location at the Parish Hall of Immanuel Church on the Hill. We have changed the date of this meeting to Thursday, November 18th, due to the fact that our normal meeting date of the 11th falls on Veterans Day this year. We plan to provide a Zoom link for this meeting to accommodate those who cannot attend in person. We are happy to announce that Acting Chief of Police, Don Hayes, will be our guest speaker on the 18th. I am sure many of you will have questions for the Chief.

Nan Jennings will be heading up our SHA Nominating Committee to present the slate of officers and Area Representatives for 2021-2022 at the Annual Meeting.  If you are interested in serving on the board, please reach out to me, and I will forward your information to the Nominating Committee. We are always looking for Seminary Hill residents who wish to get involved in SHA.

As always, thank you for your attention to matters that are important to Seminary Hill. Enjoy this fall season and please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have.

Carter Flemming, President, Seminary Hill Association

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.